background

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Vintage Flower Frog Sewn Picture Frame



I found a box of various sized vintage flower frogs at an estate sale last weekend, thought I would sell 'em on etsy, but I remember seeing a cool way to use them as picture holders, so I gathered my scraps and started painting a piece of cardboard thinking that would be a good platform for a sturdy frame.
I thought I would do a school pictures size approx 3x5.

Once you've selected your background paper, layer on scraps around the edges and trim to approximately 3/4 of an inch, try your picture to make sure it will slid in behind the paper and be showing how you'd like it to be.

Take an adhesive strip, the most narrow one you have and put a tiny bit on the very edge of the paper, this is just to hold the strips in place while you sew.  You do not want a sticky glue or anything that your needle on your sewing machine to go through as it will really be bad for the machine. (I've found out the hard way)

Next, double check your measurements and get everything where you want it.  Remember, you're not going to sew across the top, because that's where the picture will slide in.

Start sewing!  You'll have to grab the back of it and help it along, but sewing on paper is actually pretty easy.  Sew as close to the edge as possible, maybe 1/2 inch or less from the edge?

When you get to the corner, make sure your needle is down, lift your sewing foot - rotate the paper, replace the foot and go again. 
  Sew over your little embellishments by the edge so you don't sew through their message if you can, it's sort of a tiny space.

I actually did it right through the cardboard, but you can glue this sewn frame on if you like.  I wasn't sure if it was going to go through, but it did!


I added a decorate piece to the back as well, it's made of thick card stock and I left it a little longer than the cardboard, so it can stick down into the spikes of the flower frog.  That way the cardboard itself is sort of resting on the spikes for support.  But you can also just sort of cram them down onto the spikes, the space between the cardboard layers is good for that.

Finish off with a little distressing and you're finished.  Makes a nice gift for someone who loves vintage stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment