background

Monday, September 3, 2012

Four Poster Dog Bed upcycled from end table

From mid century shabby to now century upcycled chic!  I have several in production right now, soon to be sold down at our local darling shabby chic boutique in Santa Cruz called "Scattered" on Walnut.  This one is now finished!  This is a pretty big bed.  Zoe is approximately 14 lbs and she fits perfectly on it with room to spare.  First you need to find a table that will fit your pooch when turned upside down.  Decide on a theme - I chose vintage French ? look.  I like to use a variety of mediums to decorate, for this bed I used everything from an old French book (falling apart) to scrapbook stickers.  After sanding and attaching feet (recycled from ebay), you get to turn it over and sorta see what it's going to look like. Adding finials to the legs gives it an instant four poster bed look.  These actually came from (or so the ebay seller told me) an old barn in Mnt. Zion.   I painted with an antique white and then used gold paint over and then wiped off to give it a gold old sheen.  You can take this step farther with all kinds of paint techniques (crackle, etc) available.  Sky is the limit with your imagination.  I had a heart piece of plywood cut and screwed in with screws until secure.  Mod podge is your best friend for projects like this.  After wallpapering with the pages of the old French book, I used  scrapbook stickers to create my message of "bed for royal pooch" and "sweet dreams my love".  Seal up the stickers with the Mod podge and add embellishments if you want.  I used extra glue to glue on the rhinestones - I recommend E-6000.  When it's time to get to your pillows you can reuse old pillows or new, I used old and covered them with angora and cashmere fabric of a vintage Christian Dior skirt that the elastic was completely stretched out in.  But, ivory angora is hard to keep clean, so I added a J. Crew & Banana Republic red and black cashmere and Merino wool throw to put over the top so the customer can hand wash easily.  Next, more pillows were made out of fabric scraps of red wool and cashmere giving the bed elegance and luxury worthy of even a Best of Show dog can appreciate.   I stamped (using Staz-on ink) French words on vintage pillow case fabric and rustically stitched them onto the pillows. These as well can be washed without the worry of the ink fading or running.  Very little new materials were used.  I did back the throw with new fabric because I just couldn't find anything I had to compliment it.  The black and white polka dot fabric was new as well.  
This before I decided to apply a thin sheen of gold to it.
Foam stamps and some hand painting completed the headboard message, "Sweet Dreams"

"My Love"
Stamped fabric from vintage pillowcases "my lovely dog" (mon beau chien).

Merino wool rosettes and heart from J. Crew wool sweater felted and sewn in a rustic stitch.


Here's Zoe giving it a try for me (she needs a bath and is looking a little ruff....sorry couldn't resist)

All materials and cleaning instructions as well as my card.  

I just had to use the left over fabric from the throw (backing) for one more pillow - I felt it need a little more dog theme to it!

Bed for Royal Pooch!

Always sign your work!

















No comments:

Post a Comment